Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Carbon Footprint

Our instructor asked us to go to the site http://footprint.wwt.org.uk where we should measure our carbon footprint and showed it to me as an integer which is the number of planets that I need to live in. The site guided me through a wizard which had a series of questions about what I do in my daily life. What I got was 2.69 planets which is not possible because we only have one planet.

The carbon footprint is a measure of the impact of what we do on the environment in the subjects of the amount of greenhouse gases produced which is measured in units of carbon dioxide. The students in my class has carbon footprint of 3.98 planets which is bad because we have one planet and there are 20 students. The highest rate in the class was 5.10 which is very high and the student who got it needs to work on what he does daily to reduce it. In my carbon footprint the thing I dominate in is driving my car which was 47% of my carbon footprint. And I got 27% on the stuff I buy which I also need to work on. I also got 14% for my usage of electronics A/C in my home other stuff. Finally I got 12% on the food which is a pretty good segment. Although my carbon footprint is low I will work harder to reduce it.

People have got to be more careful about how they live their life because we have only one planet and we have to work to keep it clean and healthy for our next generations. And governments need some laws to protect the environment so that the earth will last longer.

No comments: